Friday, October 19, 2012

The Importance of Kindness

I've felt overwhelming support from many people over the last two weeks. People I barely know, friends I haven't had much interaction with in years, colleagues, and of course those I speak to and see frequently. Everyone who has heard our story has come together to blanket us in comfort, and it has been a true testament of what kindness looks like. We've received gifts for Leila, prayers, flowers, offers to make meals and help clean the house. All things that we might have a hard time accepting because of pride, but are learning to welcome because let's face it: sometimes you need help! And it's utterly awesome the amount of people that are willing to extend a hand.

But what about those who are unaware? Those who unintentionally trigger the negative feelings to come back, who have no idea the level of stress, sadness or heartache you may be experiencing that day. How about those who may make a rude comment, flip you off in traffic, roll their eyes at the screaming child in your grocery cart. Those who, for a split second, you want to grab and shake and scream, "what are you thinking, talking to me like that right now!", before snapping out of it and realizing they don't know any better.

Obviously I'm referring to my experience in the last two weeks, and other times in my life when I've walked around with an imaginary dark cloud hovering over me and expected everyone around me to see it. Reality is: they don't... thinking about it now, I've been that person many times, especially recently with hormones and tensions running high. The one who wants to make that rude comment, or flip that driver off. Problem is, I'm blind to what is happening in the lives of others, especially those I don't know. The girl at the register that doesn't really seem to know what she's doing when I'm in a hurry to get to work must be new, or careless and stupid. The guy swerving through traffic and cutting off everyone in his path must just be some jerk who doesn't want to wait his turn. The woman consoling her screaming son at the store but can't seem to calm him down is obviously a bad parent for coddling rather than disciplining her child.

What I'd like to ask of everyone reading is this: next time you find yourself in a situation where you want to jump the gun and call someone out for not being the perfect human being you want them to be, remember; that girl at the register may have her mind on her sick mother, who's at home waiting for her daughter to get off the late shift and bring her dinner and medicine. That inconsiderate driver may have a little boy in the back seat that just broke his arm jumping on a trampoline, desperately trying to get to the ER in the throes of rush hour traffic. That woman attempting to get her child's emotions in check in the "Canned Foods" aisle may be fighting a battle with autism, and has a child that needs her love more than her frustration. Be kind. Try to bite your tongue if you can feel the negativity bubbling, or even offer to lend a hand if you can. Someday you may need someone to do the same for you.



5 comments:

  1. Emilee this is so well written! I had a similar topic on my blog this morning.. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You may have inspired a piece of it ;-)

      Delete
  2. I love the way you write, the way you think and put your thoughts into positive words and advice even through the struggles you are facing daily right now. So proud of you and I am continuing to pray. And I WILL remember this the next time my hormones make me want to whack someone the way us east coasters are used to! Thank you for your writings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jessie! I love to write, and it's so healing.

      I know how hard it is to step back and put things into perspective sometimes, espcially as an emotional pregnant woman! No one can be perfect, but we can do out damndest to be nice <3

      Delete
    2. Emilee,

      I don't know you very well, as we have only met a few times through my daughter Ashley, but I feel privileged to be able to follow your blog. I cannot even imagine the pain that you and your family are going through and want you to know that I will continue to pray for you all. So many people would just curl up in a ball and mentally check out when faced with your situation. The strength that you have demonstrated is just amazing. You are a gifted writer and everyone who is lucky enough to be following along on this journey with you through this blog is learning a lot of life lessons along the way. Through your pain and experiences we all now have the opportunity to become better people and look at our own lives from an entirely new perspective. Thank you for sharing your story and I pray that you will be able to continue to be strong and to let your friends and loved ones support and love you through this difficult time.

      Delete